New SBQ Forum

More
2 years 1 month ago #216 by Joshua King
Replied by Joshua King on topic New SBQ Forum
Thanks Ken. I will email you shortly with some specifics.
Thanks
Josh

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 1 month ago #213 by Ken Cross
Replied by Ken Cross on topic New SBQ Forum
Hi Josh,
Sorry to hear you are having a few CER issues.
A couple of thoughts:
  1. Do you have a copy of Steve's presentation he gave at Moranbah regarding writing CERs from a mining perspective?
    It is very useful and covers each element.
  2. The surveyor framework is the base upon which each endorsement sits, so is necessarily broad. Once a surveyor holds that registration there is nothing to stop a mine surveyor from completing a cadastral endorsement and vice versa. So the standard you are being asked to meet is exactly the same as an engineering or cadastral surveyor. Over the years I've seen some excellent mine surveyors come through the process so hang in there.
  3. Feel free to send me any of your CERs that Steve has asked for more work on. I'm happy to provide some mining related job examples that might help you.
    ken.cross@glencore.com.au
  4. Besides me, there are plenty of other senior surveyors in AIMS who are always keen to help. That's one of the reason we exist as a professional body.
Regards
Ken Cross

More
2 years 1 month ago #212 by Joshua King
Replied by Joshua King on topic New SBQ Forum
Gday Ken,
I’m having some issues with the process at Surveyor registration level. I’m a mine surveyor completing the CER’s as appropriately as I can however it seems the context in which the board requires work completed and reports is civil based work. I have had specific issues with safety components, levelling components and GNSS components to name a few.
So a further general question to anyone going through the Surveyor registration process or has completed the process have you found similar issues with the board not accepting work or reports that may meet the published framework criteria however they don’t meet further (unspecified in the framework) requirements that are largely specific to civil work and are largely difficult to achieve in a mining context?
Or is it just me?
Thanks
Josh

More
2 years 3 months ago #209 by Ken Cross
Replied by Ken Cross on topic New SBQ Forum
G'Day Callum,
The short answer is "yes" I think. The AIMS QLD subcommittee should be able to put together a proposal that satisfies the requirements of the mining frameworks via a portfolio/interview format. The cadastral trial had very positive feedback from candidates.
When the board met last Thursday, it was resolved to adopt the process as a replacement for the CER/PAP/Interview process.
The change started with a review of the cadastral framework which I think we need to also complete for mining given the age of them. I intend to organise this through the subcommittee and possibly via an online survey of AIMS members.
The mining format would look very different to the new cadastral one given a portfolio of plans is not suitable for us. We could however design a portfolio of work as evidence of competency against the framework.

More
2 years 3 months ago #208 by Callum McNaughton
Replied by Callum McNaughton on topic New SBQ Forum
Hi Ken
I saw the changes to the cadastral endorsement assessment sent out last week. Would the board be interested in conducting a similar assessment for mining and engineering endorsements? This could make it a whole lot easier for candidates going forward and actually get surveyors endorsed.
Cheers
Callum

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #206 by Ken Cross
New SBQ Forum was created by Ken Cross
G'Day All,

I thought AIMS members might find a dedicated area for SBQ in the forum useful. Here I will provide updates on board activities that relate to mining and it can also serve as a location for Q&A on the registration and endorsement processes.
So, to get the ball rolling, the board meets every 6 weeks at the Brisbane Convention and Entertainment Centre and also holds a 1 day strategic planning session in January. Each meeting includes discussion on renewals, education, complaints, legislation, financials and general business.
As at November 2021 we currently have 2 surveyors working on professional assessment projects (1 UC commenced in November and 1 UM commenced in October).

The next and (last for this year) meeting will be on 2nd December 2021.

Best Regards
Ken Cross
SBQ Board Rep
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by AIMS Webmaster.

Current Major Sponsors